High Quality Control Post (DG Sanco Project)
Link til www.controlpost.eu
Objective of the Control Post Project
Objective 1 - Based on the highest level of specifications recommended by the feasibility study the project will aim at planning, designing and financing the building or the renovation of high quality control posts in order to set up a reference for the highest standards for such establishments.
Objective 2 – Following the outcomes of objective 1 and other experiences and data the project will aim at validating standards with the view of improving the technical and economic viability of possible certification system. The project will identify stakeholders’ possible interest in participating and using an EU certification scheme.
The present project foresees a significant improvement of the equipment as well as the management of 12 Control Posts (CPs) located at the cross roads of important flows of animals transported over long journeys in the EU.
Specific objectives of the action to be carried out will be:
• Planning, designing, financing the building and renovation of 12 CPs in order to set up a reference for the highest quality standards for such establishments;
• Developing the standards aimed at the establishment of a pilot certification scheme for CPs with an adequate involvement of relevant stakeholders represented by an appointed advisory board. The design of a quality certification system (CS), technically and economically viable, will enable the classification of CPs according to their degree of compliance with animal welfare (AW) standards and with high level of bio security;
• The set up of a European wide on line booking service with detailed information concerning the CPs concerned;
• The development of e-learning tools to provide information and awareness, targeted to drivers of transport companies, CP staff and official veterinary inspectors, on the practical ways they can improve the welfare of transported animals over long journeys;
• Dissemination of the results of the action to the target groups mentioned under point 4 by means of handbooks, maps, a dedicated website and an international stakeholder conference.
To achieve these objectives the project comprises six work packages (WPs) as shown in the scheme below.
High Quality Animal Transport-more than 8 hours (DG Sanco Project)
Link til www.controlpost.eu
The project foresees renovation or building of control posts in five member states, located on important flows of animals in the EU, using high quality criteria and the elaboration of a scientifically based animal transport certification scheme of animals transported over long journeys.
General objectives of the project are:
• Planning, designing, financing the building or the renovation of 6 CPs in order to set up a reference for the highest quality standards for such establishments, according to the highest level of specification recommended by the feasibility study (SANCO/D5/2005/SI2.548887);
• Developing and testing the viability of extending the certification scheme to transporters of animals operating very long journeys in consistency with the results obtained in the previous action and research.